MCAD’s 美术 major prepares students to become engaged artists in a changing world, developing technical skills within a specific medium while working across media through concept-driven courses. Students push traditional boundaries of disciplines, critique work in a cultural context, and explore the artist's role in society. Students acquire skills and knowledge needed to formulate meaningful, sustainable artistic practices as artists within a creative community. 美术 majors select a concentration in Drawing and Painting, Sculpture and Expanded Media, or 纸质书 Arts. Students have access to remarkable instructors and visiting artists, as well as individual studios on campus, 开放的24/7, allowing for time to explore, 实验, 和创建.
Hear about the student experience
As a 美术 Studio major, you will:
- Craft a plan based on your artistic ideas and aspirations.
- Develop technical skills as an artist through materials-specific coursework within the concentration you select.
- Expand your skills across media through an array of intermedia courses and studio electives.
- Develop the core concepts behind your work through interdisciplinary study.
This Bachelor of 美术 program emphasizes a collaborative process of working on teams with students from all MCAD majors. Required classes include:
- Public Art/Art in Public Spaces
- Remix: Quotation and Appropriation
- Storytelling: Narrative Studio
There are many paths to explore with a degree in 美术 Studio. Potential careers include:
- Community Arts Worker
“I started out as a photography major, but I switched to fine arts studio so I could have more freedom with my photography work, incorporating sculptural elements. I felt like my classes allowed for a lot of 实验ation.” –Jamie Thomas ’14, Freelance Photographer